Conservation Forestry Partners, LLC (CF) is an investment firm that seeks to align private equity with conservation capital for the purpose of investing in and managing forest landscapes. CF currently manages approximately 650,000 acres across the Northeast, Pacific Northwest, and Southeastern regions of the United States. CF is looking for a Summer Associate for a temporary 10-week internship.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design, populate, and maintain a database of county level USFS supply and demand data for use in market research supporting the decisions of the Acquisitions, Dispositions, and Operations Departments. Activities related to this role will include:
- Aggregating county level USFS FIA and TPO data.
- Investigating market trends and analyzing areas of supply tension.
- Constructing an efficiently designed repository for future maintenance and querying.
- Mapping harvesting trends, price changes, and supply/demand shifts.
- Preparing a short written report and presenting final findings to senior management.
- Extract data and historical information from appraisals that have been performed on timberland investment properties in CF funds. Specific activities will depend on each appraisal and on the company’s needs, but may include:
- Developing a thorough understanding of appraisal methodology, with a focus on technical differences among appraisals.
- Collecting comparable sales information and compiling key metrics, including product prices, bare land values, pre-merchantable acre values by year, and volumes.
- Analyzing and modeling key metrics, and presenting data in charts and tables.
- Understanding and recording value allocations for non-timber revenues, including hunting and mineral leases
- Formatting data into an efficiently designed and easily queried repository.
In addition, and depending on time and availability, the Summer Associate may be called upon to assist with a variety of other projects. Some travel may be required.
Reports to the Senior Investment Analyst, and will work closely with Acquisitions, Dispositions, and Operations, with access to senior management.
Competitive hourly rate commensurate with experience and qualifications, paid monthly, with no other benefits provided. Travel expenses to and from Greenville will be reimbursed.
Work Schedule and Duration
This is a temporary, 10-week internship for the summer of 2017, starting in late May (May 22). Work schedule will be Mon-Fri, approximately 40 hours/week.
A successful Summer Associate will be currently enrolled in a(n) undergraduate/graduate forestry program, and will have the following qualifications:
- Strong quantitative skills with knowledge and experience in financial modeling and database design
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Excel and ESRI ArcMap; knowledge of Microsoft Access or SQL a strong plus
- Ability to perform thorough research from a variety of data sources, with limited assistance and supervision; experience working with USFS FIA and TPO data a strong plus
- Coursework demonstrating an understanding of data management, spatial analytics, or financial modeling
- Commitment to error-free work, with a strong drive for results
- Self-motivated, with a strong work ethic, and the ability to work well independently as well as with a team
- Facility for designing, organizing, and presenting complex ideas and data
- Superior communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship.